Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Two down, one to go

Those of you who have followed since the beginning of this blog you might notice that I have changed the title. This I thought described mt life a lot better than the other title.

So as most can tell from the previous post I make plans and then other things happen. I went into the garage to put a Tupperware container in so I could give the kitten I had caught water. I closed the garage door so if the kitten got out of the crate I wouldn't completely lose him/her. After successfully putting the new water bowl in I noticed the black kitten was in there with me, when he noticed me he ran to the garage door and started climbing the door. One he got above my head (I'm about 5" 10) he fell off. As I reached down to grab him I remembered the cat bites and scratches and I hesitated just for a split second, just long enough for black one to come to his senses and run away. I decided to leave him alone and shut the garage door so I could try again today.  As I go to open the garage door I realize the kitten has locked the door AND that for some reason I didn't take my cell phone, this led me to banging on the garage door for a couple of minutes before one of my roommates finally heard me.  

I went to the grocery store last night to pick up some paper plates to feed my newly caught kitten on, as I pulled in I noticed the little black one was in the garage so my roommate (I have two so this is not the one I mentioned yesterday) and I quietly moved in and closed the door. After some running (mostly by both kittens that weren't in the crate already) and trying to catch one in a blanket. As my roommate was focused on Tabby girl, who I was staying away from so as not to have another set of clothing peed on, I noticed that the black kitten was climbing up my garage door, again, in fear that he would take another long fall I quickly reach out and catch him. I started with a pet then grabbed him by the stomach. Much better than both of his/her siblings in not biting me. So now I have two kittens and just one to go.

I was also suppose to let mama cat go today, but I ran with my roommate to San Bernardino for a good chunk of the day. When I came back my roommate and I decided that the Tabby girl might run away if we let the mama cat go since she seemed to be sticking close cause of mama. After a long moral debate with myself I decided that it was probably best to keep her for one more day. It turned out to be the right decision but I didn't know at the time, I don't want to keep her for too long because she is feral, but also every time I had given her water she had flipped the container over and of course the obvious reason of the trap not being very big and the cat like all animals needs to do certain things. After another long conversation with my mom she helped me realize the kittens should be priority and that if mama cat had news paper (which she does) that at least she can cover things and not be sitting in them.  It turns out that my landlord is coming over tomorrow to close off all entrances to under our house so cats can't get under there anymore so I'm glad I have mama cat so I can make sure she isn't under there when they do this. I have never been around people who hate cats to this extent in my life.

Just so everyone knows I will be letting her go tomorrow, even if Tabby is still loose I can't keep mama for too long. I also successfully fed both her and kittens without getting hurt and very limited hissing (all from mama) the kittens have calmed down so hopefully in a day or two I might be able to talk to them. Every cat I have captured has been fed and has water.

I know that the kittens are the priority and that in the end almost every decision I have made is the right ones. I know that cats don't have the emotional ties we have to things, and even though things happen to them they can live on and not remember. I put human emotions to them even though I know I shouldn't. I keep thinking back to the day I took mama cat over to the shelter and walking outside with her in the cage and her kittens surrounding her. I shouldn't let this things get to me because I know they are different. I know all these things but for some reason I'm having a hard time internalizing it.

I'm going to try and catch Tabby girl tonight, I hope I can get her. If not I'm worried that I will not be able to. But I'm also worried because these kittens need to be socialized as soon as possible.

I will let you all know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment