Friday, July 15, 2011

And so we begin

I know know when I will be taking the kittens home to New Mexico. My mother will be flying in on Wednesday and I leave on Thursday. After talking to my roommate/best friend he and I agreed that the sooner I get the kittens out of the garage and into a house the better. We also talked about moving the kittens into the bigger cage today. This did in fact turned out to be what we did but more on that in a moment.


Today I woke up with a package on my doorstep. My mom had bought and overnighted the first three Muppet movies. I had asked her to send me any free copies she might have in the house because I just remember whenever I had a hard time growing up she would play one of the movies for me. I then went out to feed the kittens and noticed that there were more and more flies everyday and that it was getting ridiculous. I took out their litter box and replaced it in the hope that it would help.

I went to the animal shelter for the first time since Monday today. (By the way if any of you want to know more about the shelter I volunteer at you can google them Pet Orphans of Southern California) I went to the catery and saw a cat that had been adopted over the weekend. I don't know the story but here is my best guess. People thought that they could adopt the cutest cat and everything will be perfect, cat does something wrong and they return her immediately. I wish people actually were willing to commit before taking a cat home and when one thing goes wrong they just turn and dump them. She looked supremely depressed. People can be such fucking idiots when it comes to animals.

I didn't stay there long but as I was leaving I bumped into the person who runs the shelter. She has been talking me through most of the whole process of catching mama cat and kittens so she of coursed asked me how it was going. I was very glad to be able to tell her I had all three, two more people who worked at the shelter walked pass and asked if I was Nathan with the kittens. I guess my name has gotten around. I don't think I understand how great it would be to talk to people who had been what I'm going through and people I could ask questions to and they would actually know the answers.

When I got home I noticed the kittens were still surrounded by flies. I asked my roommate (not the best friend one) to help me make the crate which he did. I then asked the other roommate for help at some point with moving them over. A couple of hours later he came to my room and said he was ready to move them. As we open the crate they have inhabited for a couple of days black cat and Tabby (short for Tabatha) ran out. (luckily I always close the garage door) I moved black and what over and as a picked her up I noticed she wasn't scratching or biting me so I petted her quickly. The flies had definitely  seen her as an all you can eat buffet. I felt so bad for her but no time had to catch the other two. My roommate found Tabby and I quickly picked her up and moved her into the crate (again no hissing biting or scratching so I petted her as well) didn't take long to find little black one (who turned out to be the only one to hiss but no bites or scratches!!!!) and put him in with his siblings. They freaked out because the cage was more open so I called my mother who has all the answers and she said to cover part of their crate. I did and they calmed down. Now for the gross part of cleaning the crate they have been using for three days now. I threw away most of the stuff at the bottom and hosed down the inside.

I took a much needed shower after this whole process and realized for the first time in a long time I actually felt excited/like it was shabbat. I could rest and just relax for a while. No more moving the kittens. Just enjoy some baseball, books and kittens. And then after that I only have a few days till I go home and have help taking care of the kittens. For the rest of the night I see Muppets and dinner with both roommates in the cards. I plan on just taking it easy.

PS I know I said I would have pictures but the kittens were freaked out so I slipped them some wet food and I'm going to let them get use to their surroundings. I will for sure get a picture tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment