Monday, August 15, 2011

Me myself and a loooooooooooong boring road

I left New Mexico today. My part of the kitten raising is over. So as my aunt asked me the other day what am I going to do with this blog. I know I changed the title but the URL still has the original "taming kittens" so I feel a little obligated to continue with that. So my idea is during the school year I will try and blog once or twice a week about my life and some of the random rants that as a friend pointed out to me "well..random!" this might also cure that randomness problem. Now I hear all of you yelling "what does this have to do with the kittens!!!!" I will give my mother co writer rights to this blog and hopefully she can update ALL of us once a week or something but only if she promises pictures (its what we all want anyways)

So I'm now sitting in a hotel alone in Flagstaff after a boring day. I do not like driving at all so the thought of 4-5 hours today and 6-7 tomorrow is horrible. I have no one next to me to keep my entertained so I lean on music to keep me alert and not drifting off. The only problem is I don't like to stop much so I end up listening to the same music over and over again. As funny and great as the score to The Book of Mormon is  after listening to it one and a half times I was ready for something new. I then had probably the oddest reactions to two different songs (actually different musicals also) I have ever had. After a was good and done with The Book of Mormon I switched to one of my all time favorites Jersey Boys. It wasn't until one song started playing that I was suddenly overwhelmed by sadness. I had seen this musical with my ex and in that second all I could think about was that song and what it meant to our relationship and I almost burst into tears in the middle of I-40. I skipped the song when I realized the sadness wasn't going away and as soon as the soundtrack was over I switched it to something happier in the hope of taking my mind off of that odd experience. I switched to Spamalot. This was the first musical I ever saw on Broadway. My mother and I had this amazing four day period where we saw SIX musicals. When I asked why because I was so shocked not only at the number but the quality of the musicals (Wicked, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Rent, 25th County Spelling Bee and Avenue Q) she had explained that my great grandmother who had passed away the previous December had told her to do something special with me because me and her drove back and forth to Santa Fe every day so that she was never alone. I was suddenly taken over by all these memories of her and I just couldn't help but smile. But once that had past I asked myself how much about my family history did I know? Not as much as I want I think. This might become a project for me going into the future to give myself a better understanding of my entire family (on both sides) Sadly I can't rely on grandparents to help with any details but hopefully they told my parents enough that I can have a good start.

At the end of the day? This is why I hate driving by myself for 5 hours. Too much time with my thoughts. No one to talk things out with. I will be home tomorrow and I can't wait to just get settled down again before classes start.

No comments:

Post a Comment