Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Interlude with Kittens 1

This is the first of the periodic updates on kitten progress (with pictures) that I have been asked to make. Don't know how often these will appear. Check in from time to time and find out.

The kittens are almost at the end of their fourth week in the house. The first week was spent in their cage. The second week, the cage was open but they were confined to a large closet. The third week, they were in the bathroom with a little more freedom. This past week, they have had access to my bedroom. But before they were granted bedroom access, we blocked things so that they could not get under the bed. Later, I expanded blocked areas to include under the dressers and the night stands.

Today, they managed to get around the barricades keeping them from under the dresser. Desperate measures had to be taken.
Simon helped me flush out kittens and load them into the bathroom, where they quickly made themselves comfortable....
...while I came up with yet another solution for keeping them from getting under the dressers. Such a solution is necessary because I just can't get down on the floor and drag kittens out from under the furniture any more. And Nathan has left for LA, so he's not available to drag out kittens either.
Fortunately, we have boxes and boxes of paperback books that nobody needs to read any time soon. Though I did pull out a few titles that had come up in family discussions last week.

I left them a few hiding places -- one "cat cave", the space under an arm chair in the corner of the room, and the bottom of the closet. Also behind the bed, where there is a nice towel-covered shelf and some curtains to hide in and around.

Now that I had limited their hiding places again, it was time for socialization. The first kitten I acquired was Oreo, who sat on me and purred for quite a long time....
...before he decided to go exploring.

I persuaded him back onto my lap after he was done checking things out.
All together, Oreo spent about 2 hours with me. In the evening, Moony spent a comparable amount of time with me -- until the large brown dog disturbed his peace -- but nobody was around to take pictures. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment