Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lazy Tuesday

Sorry for the absences. I made it to LA safely, nothing really worth noting about the second leg of the drive more of the same music and lots of time with my thoughts. Then once I got home I had one day before my friend from Israel was in town and my life was very busy. Thursday as soon as she got here I was out with her and Friday at around 5 I left my house and wasn't home again until after midnight on Sunday at which point I passed out just to wake up and run back to the city and the zoo. Oy. I needed to catch up on my sleep which I decided I would do today by sleeping in. At 9:30 AM I woke up to a call from JNF about a program I had decided not to do anymore -_- Oh well I got back to sleep and wasn't woken up again until 11:30 to my roommate yelling about his mother.

School starts again in a week and I can't wait. I think if my school offered summer school I would do it because I hate these three month breaks. Not that I don't enjoy relaxing and watching (a lot of) TV but it gets me out of sync. I will say though I started watching two VERY good shows this summer: Breaking Bad and Damages. The common theme between the two? The anti hero. I was talking to a friend the other day and she said she didn't think she could watch either because she needs a clear good guy to root for. The anti hero is more flexible I pointed out. Clear good guys (which are more unrealistic) are confined into a very two dimensional life. They have very clear boundaries that they don't want to cross whereas the anti hero realizes that they must cross some lines for the greater good.  Both main characters have very different reasons for doing what they do and in Breaking Bad the shows actually shows the progression into the anit hero status which in itself was fascinating whereas Damages started long after the character had picked the lifestyle. This is the route I see TV shows and movies heading and it is for the better. We are seeing more realistic characters that we can actually (maybe not in everything they do) connect with easier because they don't just make the easy/good choice.

I also saw the new Captain America movie. Other than some instances where they did went for some (very) easy laughs it was very good. But I'm looking forward to the fact that it (should) be the last origin film for a long time. They are all starting to blend into each other and the genre has grown a little old. But hopefully my favorite writer/director Joss Whedon can turn it around in The Avengers.

Life is boring for now but if something interesting happens I promise you will be the first to know. Other than that look forward to more kittens soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment