Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TV

Wow a brief moment to relax. Only a month left to this semester and this time next week I will have my schedule for next semester. But anyways what am I doing on one of my few stress free nights? Rewatching a show called Wonderfalls. About half way through the second  episode I realized there are very few shows I have truly loved and I watch a lot of TV. This is a sad season because I'm trying A LOT of the new shows and none of them are catching me like I want (one notable exception but I will get to that later). But why why WHY must TV networks kill all the best shows before they really get a chance? I mean when they first order the episodes they have to know that the show is off color right? Here is the list of shows that I can watch a hundred times and still be depressed over the cancellation of years later:

Firefly (obviously name one nerd without this on their list...)
Reaper (Clever and funny, seems like that is a rare combination)
Wonderfalls (wound reopened by watching it again)
Dollhouse (When Joss Whedon says five year plan GIVE him five years people)
Dead Like Me (See reaper)
Tru Calling (not my typical kind of show)
Pushing Daisies (Such an amazing show with an amazing cast. Also created by the same guy as Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls)
Better Off Ted (Only show I would laugh at every joke)
Arrested Development (finally getting new stuff soon)
Angel (it got five seasons but cancelled as it was getting good)
The Tick (short lived but another amazing comedy)
Scrubs (not the Zach Braff that goes on 8 seasons but the reboot season 9)

Not to say that networks don't let random good shows live through (see 30 Rock, Community and hopefully Breaking In). But these shows have one thing in common, they are the normal show. Each and everyone of them have their unique brand of drama or comedy that was not main stream. So this all leads me back to the question, why order a show that you know is unique and is not going to work on network television? Luckily now we have cable networks who are willing to save shows (See Friday Night Lights and Damages) but they can't save them all. And many of the shows  on my list have lead to a lot of these quality actors being found and moving on to new shows, but what I would give for another season of each and every one of those shows on the list. Btw if you are ever bored I would suggest checking anyone of these shows out (not like other than Angel its much of a time commitment (and yes that made me sad to say))

OH! Almost forgot the loose end. The only show these season that has caught my interest as a show is Homeland. Its hard to explain because it wouldn't be my normal show but it is creative, well acted, well written and has production value. Always a nice combination.

Anyways I think I'm going to enjoy my night off (might be the last till thanksgiving and I will try to update then) And lastly those kittens are getting so BIG

2 comments:

  1. What about Breaking Bad? Dark and twisty and violent. I am looking forward to the upcoming (and final) season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was saying the only show that came out this year that has caught my interest. Breaking Bad is beyond amazing.

    ReplyDelete